Maria Kirchental St. Martin
Pilgrimage Church Maria Kirchental
The Pilgrimage Church Maria Kirchental in St. Martin, also known as the Pinzgau Cathedral, lies at an elevation of 900 metres in the middle of the Lofer stone mountains and is part of the most important pilgrimage sites in Salzburg.
Creation of the pilgrimage:
Archbishop Johann Ernst Graf von Thurn commissioned the building of a church after numerous miracles occurred in the towns. The plans stem from the important Austrian baroque architect Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach. The church, a central building over a cross-shaped layout, was built between 1694 and 1701 under the leadership of S. Millinger.
The painting of mercy
The wooden, colourful painting of mercy is the work of an unknown artist from the first half of the 15th century. It displays the enthroned Holy Mary with Jesus as a child on her knee.
The left side altar painting in its bright harmony of colours (dated 1719), is part of the largest and best work of the Salzburg court artists Jacopo Zanusi.
Votiv paintings collection
We especially want to point out the comprehensive collection of Votiv paintings in the northern sacristy. With about 1200 individual pieces, it is one of the most valuable collections of its type in Austria. The paintings, from the end of the 17th up to the middle of 19th century, are undergoing basic restoration little by little.
Limited bus traffic is possible after a telephone agreement with the rector of the church.